- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup white basmati rice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 12 large Lacinato kale leaves
- 1 20-oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup fresh mint or cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbs. grated lime zest
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. sugar or agave nectar
To make Kale Rolls:
1. Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Add chickpeas, broth, rice, cumin, paprika, and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Cool.
2. Trim thick stems from center of kale leaves. Place 1 large or 2 small overlapping kale leaves on work surface with tip away from you. Pull together cut edges where stem was removed to overlap. Spoon 2 Tbs. chickpea mixture in center of bottom of leaf. Fold in sides, and roll up leaf to tip. Repeat with remaining kale and filling.
To make Salsa:
Stir together all ingredients in bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve Kale Rolls with Salsa.