MAKES 1 LOAF
START TO FINISH: 6 HOURS (INCLUDES RISING TIME)
3½ cups bread flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup warm water
3 tablespoons honey
⅓ cup canola oil
2 tablespoons milk
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, mix the flour with the sugar and yeast.
2. Add the salt, water, honey, oil and 2 eggs. Mix on low until the dough starts to come together, about 4 minutes. Then increase the speed to medium and continue to mix until the dough is smooth, 3 minutes more.
3. Lightly grease a large bowl with nonstick spray, then transfer the dough to the bowl. Cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise at room temperature until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
4. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide it into thirds. Roll each piece into a rope, about 12 inches long.
5. Place the ropes side by side on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pinch the ropes together at the top. Take the piece on the left, lift it up and cross it over the center piece. Lift the right piece and cross it over the top piece. Repeat until the dough is fully braided. Then pinch the ends together and tuck them under.
6. Cover the braided loaf loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise for 30 to 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°.
7. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining egg with the milk. Brush the egg wash onto the entire loaf just before baking.
8. Bake the loaf until it’s deeply golden brown and fully cooked through, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool before slicing and serving.