An Inspiring Story, Surprisingly, about Ebola

Foday Galla’s neighbors have started calling him the Miracle Man. It’s a name he thinks is entirely inappropriate.
“Man, I sure as hell don’t feel like a miracle,” he groans, struggling to stand up from the thin mat where he was taking an afternoon nap. But the fact that he is alive at all is enough to merit claims of divine intervention by friends and family. Galla survived Ebola.

Galla, knows exactly how he got sick. It was the third time he had been called to the same house to pick up patients. First it was for a mother, her son and a daughter that were sick with symptoms of Ebola. Then, a week later, he came for the father, the grandmother and two other sons. They all died. The last boy of the family, a four-year-old, was taken in by neighbors. But a week after that, he got another call. The boy, Samuel, was throwing up, the neighbors said. Galla rushed back.
“I put on my protective gear as fast as I could. All I wanted to do was save that little child’s life.”
Galla found Samuel in a pool of vomit, and gathered him into his arms. The child vomited again, all over Galla’s protective suit. Ebola is spread by infected bodily fluids; vomit is particularly dangerous.
“I didn’t care,” says Galla. “All his family was gone, so I wanted to make sure he kept his life.”
Galla was in such a rush to get Samuel to treatment that he didn’t stop to disinfect with a whole-body chlorine spray. Samuel survived. But two days later, Galla started feeling sick.

First he dosed himself with a pharmacy’s worth of prophylactics: vitamin C, Amoxicillin, anti-malarials, just in case it was something else. But the headaches kept getting worse, and his joints were too painful to move. He cautioned his family to stay away. Galla didn’t need the test results to know he was positive. He could see it in the face of his colleagues on the clinic’s medical team. For three days he was in a delirium, he says. He took the antibiotics provided by the clinic to ward off secondary infections, and drank juice and electrolytes to stave off dehydration. But he was in too much agony to even answer calls from well-wishers.
“I only wanted to talk to the pain.” But the MSF nurses and doctors kept encouraging him, telling him that he would be fine, that he would make it through.
“I didn’t want to listen, but I didn’t have a choice.” In the end, he says, that’s what saved him.
“It was their compassion and their care. I could tell that they wanted me to survive. So I survived.”

Two weeks later he tested negative for Ebola, and was released from the clinic with a new set of clothes (all his infected clothing had to be incinerated) and a “survivor’s kit,” a bundle of food, chlorine and bedding to help him back on his feet. They also gave him a giant package of condoms, and told him not to have unprotected sex for 90 days.
“I can barely stand up,” he says with a laugh. “Sex is the last thing on my mind.”

Galla says that he doesn’t regret for one moment that he rushed in to save Samuel.
“Even if God had taken my life in the process, as long as Samuel survived, I don’t regret it.”
If anything, he says, he has a newfound mission.
“I have superpowers over Ebola,” he says.
“Now that I have immunity, I have no fear. I will fight for people with all my might.”
As a member of an ambulance crew, or as the doctor he hopes to someday become, he intends to apply the lessons he learned from Ebola to all his patients.
“You have to care, you have to give encouraging words, you have to tell them they will survive. Because if you don’t have that as a patient you are going to want to die.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s