- Makes about medium 8 waffles
- Start to Finish: 1 hour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2¼ cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1. Make the batter: In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, salt and pepper to combine.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the butter and eggs to combine. Add to the flour mixture and whisk well to combine. Gently fold in the cheese.
3. Make the waffles: Preheat the waffle iron and preheat the oven to 200°F. Lightly spray the waffle maker with nonstick spray and ladle batter into the waffle maker. Prepare the waffles according the manufacturer’s instructions.
4. When the waffle is done, remove it with tongs and place it on a baking sheet. Keep the waffles warm in the preheated oven while you cook the rest of the batter. Serve immediately or freeze for later.
(To freeze: Wrap the finished waffles tightly in plastic wrap, then seal them inside a plastic bag. Store in the freezer for up to three months. Reheat in a toaster or in a 300°F oven until crisp and warm.)